What is a Green Card?

How can you obtain a Green Card according to US immigration laws?

A Green Card is an unofficial name for the permit allowing immigrants to permanently live and work in the United States of America. The official name is “Lawful Permanent Resident Card”.

A permanent resident is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. You can become a permanent resident in different ways and the steps you must take to apply for a Green Card will vary depending on your individual situation.

Below we will discuss some of the more frequent paths.

1.         Green Card through a family. An immediate relative of a US citizen, family of a lawful permanent resident, fiancée of a US citizen or the child of the fiancée’s child, widower of a US citizen or VAWA self-petitioner.

2.         Green Card through employment. Immigrant investor, physician national interest, or immigrant workers according to 1st, 2nd and 3rd preference according to the USCIS.

3.         Green Card as a Special Immigrant. Religious workers, International Broadcaster, International Organization Workers, among others.

4.         Green Card through Refugee or Asylee Status. Refugees and asylees can apply for lawful permanent resident (LPR) status after they have been physically present in the U.S. for at least one year.

5.         Other petitions. You can also apply for a green card for human trafficking and crime victims, victims of abuse, diversity immigrant visa program, among other special categories.

Once it is determined you are eligible for a permanent residence, the next steps will depend on whether or not you are in the United States.

While your permanent residency card is pending you can review the process on the USCIS Case Status Online, or call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283

It is our job as an immigration law firm to help our customers navigate the complicated US immigration procedures, visa requirements, and immigration laws. Turning to a professional top immigration law firm to obtain your residency will make it easier to present a case to USCIS and help you fully understand your options.

If you would like to discuss your options with a reliable immigration attorney, call us to schedule a consultation to talk about your specific case with one of our immigration lawyers. Phone (770)-422-4142 or email us at info@ffbfirm.com

The following two tabs change content below.

Farmer, Farmer & Brown Law Firm, PLLC

The attorneys at Farmer, Farmer & Brown understand the value of a diversified workforce and are adept at navigating every facet of immigration law. Our team locates honest, accomplished workers to provide employers with exceptional talent from every corner of the globe.

Latest posts by Farmer, Farmer & Brown Law Firm, PLLC (see all)

%d bloggers like this: