Trainee Visas J-1 and H-3

Training programs are designed to allow foreign professionals to come to the United States to gain exposure to U.S. culture and to receive training in U.S. business practices in their chosen occupational field.

There are 2 types of visas that help a company start an international training program: the J-1 and H-3 visa.

The J1 Visa can only be used for training in occupational fields listed in The Code of Federal Regulations, which include:

  • Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing;
  • Arts and Culture;
  • Construction and Building Trades;
  • Education, Social Sciences, Library Science, Counseling and Social Services;
  • Health-Related Occupations;
  • Hospitality and Tourism;
  • Information Media and Communications;
  • Management, Business, Commerce and Finance;
  • Public Administration and Law; and
  • The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics, and Industrial Occupations.

On the other hand H3 Visas, allow “any field of endeavor”, although that “any” doesn’t extend to medical training.

These programs can be a good first step for companies looking to explore international programs. If you need more information, call us to schedule a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys.