Humanitarian Applications

VAWA and other Self-Petitions

In certain circumstances, some applicants may qualify to “self-petition” for permanent legal status in the United States. Abused spouses and/or children of U.S. citizens or permanent residents, abused parents of U.S. citizens, Amerasians, widows and widowers of U.S. citizens, Special Immigrant Juveniles, Religious Workers, Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, and other specialized situations may qualify to apply for permanent resident status without the need for a traditional petitioner.

Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), a federal law, you may be eligible to apply to become a permanent resident if you are the victim of battery or extreme cruelty committed by a U.S. citizen spouse or former spouse (if the marriage ended less than 2 years ago), a U.S. citizen parent, a U.S. citizen son or daughter, a lawful permanent resident spouse or former spouse, or a lawful permanent resident parent.

If you think you might qualify under any of these special circumstances, please call our caring team to discuss your situation.  You may qualify to submit your self-petition without having to obtain your abusive family member’s consent or even knowledge.

Humanitarian Parole

In some situations, a person might qualify to be “paroled” into the United States for specific reasons. Some possible parole requests could include: receiving medical treatment in the United States, caring for a seriously or terminally ill relative in the United States, attending a funeral or settling the affairs of a deceased relative in the United States, being an organ donor to a person in the United States, participating in a legal case in the United States, or in order to be protected from a targeted or individualized harm outside the United States. This list is not an exhaustive list of all the situations in which an individual could be granted Humanitarian Parole.

Victims of Human Trafficking and Other Crimes

The trafficking of persons is a type of modern-day slavery in which the traffickers entice individuals to the United States with false promises of a better life and a lucrative job. 

T Visas give protection to victims of trafficking. U Visas give protection to victims of crime who have suffered mental or physical abuse as a result of the crime. Both visas allow the victims to stay in the United States in order to aid law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting crimes.

Temporary Protected Status

TPS is a program that provides beneficiaries of certain countries with employment authorization, protection from being removed from the United States, and in some cases, travel authorization.  The countries that are designated for TPS are generally due to an environmental disaster, ongoing armed conflict, or some other temporary condition in which the country’s citizens are not able to return home safely or the country is not able to handle the return of its citizens in a safe manner.

At the moment, the following countries have been designated for TPS:

  • El Salvador
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Nepal
  • Nicaragua
  • Somalia
  • South Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Yemen

Refugees and Asylum

Refugee status (for those outside the United States) or Asylum (for those inside the U.S. or at a port of entry) may be granted to those individuals who have been persecuted or who fear persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, and/or membership in a particular social group or political opinion.

Asylum law is a very complicated area of immigration law. Seeking the assistance of an experienced immigration lawyer is highly recommended prior to submitting an application for asylum.

For more information about any of this very specific type of application contact us or call us at 770 422 4241.